One of the best exercises that you cannot harm yourself in any way is the waling. You can lose a pound every single week, it depends on how much you walk and how often you do it. In 5 months, walking is the only exercise that will help you lose about 20 pounds, and no strict diet or gym visits will be needed. You will be able to lose some extra weight and tone your muscles and improve their endurance only with walking. Knowing how much this exercise can affect your life, you will love it and even try to do it as much as possible, only to lose the extra weight.
How to Lose Weight by Walking?
How much calories you will be able to burn with walking, mostly depends on how much you walk, where you walk and how much you weigh. You can burn 400 calories in an hour if you are walking at about 4 miles per hour.
But you don’t need to do it that fast if you can’t, you can walk by 3 miles per hour, that way you will lose 300 calories each day. According to your schedule, organize your time, you can also walk shorter distances. You can try the pedometer, it is a device that will help you do your daily plan and burn more calories.
Weight Loss & Pedometers
If you are willing to walk on regular basis and get your body a nice and toned shape, you can boost the effects and benefits by purchasing a pedometer with a good quality, or simply go with a wrist band, which can track each exercise on daily basis.
The pedometer device is pretty useful, you carry it on your hips everywhere you go. It is not heavy, and it has many features on it. The most interesting and also highly important feature is the step measurement, it measures how many steps you’ve made throughout the entire day.
If you want to know how many kilometers you need to go in order to lose some extra weight, find out how many you are covering at the moment. This way you can easily find out how many more you need to go in order to achieve your goals.
Lets say that you are taking about 8,000 steps every day, and you still haven’t lost a lot of weight, then how much more you need is simply math. You need to expand your daily walking routine in order to get thinner and burn more calories.
How Many Steps You Need to Take to Lose Weight?
In an average mile, a normal person will take around 2,000 steps to lose weight. In a single mile you can burn up to 100 calories. With the pedometer you can easily keep track of how much you’ve walked in a day, how many calories you’ve burned and how many steps you’ve taken. You don’t need to workout if you have a busy schedule, just add some more steps every day.
- 1 mile -- 100 calories burned and 2,000 steps.
- 1 pound -- 3,500 calories.
- Losing 1 pound a week -- 500 calories every day.
- In order to lose 1 pound in a week, you need to take about 10,000 steps every day.
We have a few ideas that we can give you, if you have a busy schedule and you don’t know how to fit the walking into your daily routine, and make 10,000 steps.
- Instead of taking a bus or your car, walk.
- Park the car further away from the destination you are going to.
- If you are going by buss, get off a few stops before your destination.
- Walk your children to school if you have any.
- Take the stairs, don’t use the elevator.
If you have a high quality pedometer, you can easily keep tract of how much calories you’ve burned, and how many steps you’ve taken. With this you can easily have a full image of how much you have dedicated yourself and how much you have achieved with that.
If you are serious and you want every step you take to be checked, you want to get a high quality pedometer. According to the American Medical Association, a high quality pedometer is important for effective weight reduction and long haul weight control as well.
How to Make Things Interesting?
- Make sure you change the walking tracks all the time, in order to make things more interesting and you don’t get bored.
- Walk at different parks, neighborhoods and areas, listen to good quality music that keeps you energized and motivated to get to the finish line.
- Don’t let the bad weather stop you from walking every day, enjoy every wave of nature, and don’t let things such as television or some other things to distract you.
- Find some company for walking, ask a friend or a family member to join you. Even if they are keeping you company once on weekly basis, it is a good things to shake things up. Having the old routine all the time will keep you bored.
- Switch your routine from time to time, it will keep you interested and more motivated.
We know how to walk, and we are all walking since we were babies. But throughout all those years, you surely have picked up some bad habits along the way, and sometimes that makes you less desirable for walking.
When you are walking to lose weight and you consider it an exercise, make sure you keep your chin up, you should look 100 feet in front of you, pull your abdomen towards the spine and squeeze your glutes as well. Walking like this will maximize the effects of this exercise.
How Often to Walk?
If you are still unsure about how much you should walk and how your daily walking routine should be, go consult yourself with a primary physician.
Once your physician has told you what and how you need to do it, make sure you walk at least 3 days on weekly basis, at least 20 minutes. As the time goes by, make sure you increase the time of walking up to 30, then up to 60 minutes.
This exercise will be your number one helper for weight loss, and still it is the only exercise that can help you lose 88 pounds in only 12 months, and without any strict diets!