Even the ones that are most conscious about their health might not notice how nail polishes are affecting their health and their bodies. According to a study that was done not long ago, it was proven that even the most popular nail polish brands in the U.S. are more harmful than we actually think.
What The Research Shows
There was another study in which the researchers were looking for chemical toxins in the participants, which were 24 women who volunteered for the study. There was recorded presence of chemical toxins in every single one of them. And of course the reason for that, were the nail polishes.
The results were alarming, in every participant was recorded the presence of triphenyl phosphate, only 10 hours after they have used nail polish.
There is a study that followed this one right after, in which the researchers were testing 10 types of different nail polishes for triphenyl phosphate, and they found it in 8 of them. Two of those 8 didn’t even had the chemical labeled on the back of the product.
This means that more than 20% of the nail polishes that are out on the market in the U.S. have this harmful chemical in them, and they are not even telling you about it.
What is Triphenyl Phosphate?
The worst thing about this dangerous chemical is that, it is disrupting our endocrine system, that is in charge of our hormones. The head researcher of the study, Dr. Heather Stapleton reported that, this chemical (TPHP) can affect the reproduction, metabolism, development and hormone regulation as well.
The healthy hormonal development is the most important thing during the growth process, therefore this ingredients is highly dangerous and harmful for younger girls who are using nail polishes regularly. Also TPHP is a great threat for our overall health, and poses a risk when we are exposed to it. This chemical is known for being:
- Skin irritant
- Reproductive Toxin
- Endocrine Toxin
- Neurotoxin (developmental effects)
Other Health Threats
There are some companies for nail polishes that are replacing the TPHP for this ingredient. But this doesn’t mean that it is better for our health, because this ingredient causes similar health risks, like reproductive system toxins and hormonal disruption.
This is a chemical that is impeding the development in younger children, and it can also be found in breast milk. When exposed to it, it can cause an irritation of our skin.
The formaldehyde is one of the most famous carcinogen ingredients, that has the ability to dissolve in the air and water. Exposing yourself to this chemical can cause difficulty breathing, asthma, and a scratchy throat. The ones suffering from chronic diseases, are more susceptible to poisoning from this harmful chemical.
Natural Nail Polish Alternatives
Besides all this, there are some companies for nail polishes that have decided to leave these harmful chemicals aside, and replace them with new natural alternatives, that don’t cause hormone disruption, cancer and allergies.
Below we will give you a few of the best options that have the best prices and selection:
1. Peacekeeper Cause-Metics -- A nail polish company that has many different color varieties, and each one of them is infused with argan oil, and all are toxic-free. These are a great choice to keep your nails colored and moisturized all the time.
2. SpaRitual -- A brand for nail polishes, that is free of toxins and is 100% vegan.
3. Acquarella -- This company has more than 50 colors of nail polishes. Each one of them is water-based and they don’t contain mercury, dibutyl phthalate, toluene, formaldehyde or any other wheat products at all.
4. Honeybee Gardens -- The best natural nail polish company, that produces many different colors. They are water-based, so you don’t need any rubbing alcohol to remove them from your nails, and they don’t contain any of these dangerous chemicals that we mentioned above, or any carcinogens.
The nail polishes should only be a fun option for you to express your feelings, not to affect the health of young children or cause a threat for you. After trying these nail polishes, you will never go back to the old ones, and you will also never compromise about your style or your wallet.