Grilled cheese gets a complete makeover with the creamy and mashed avocado sandwich between a crispy and gluten-free cauliflower bread.
If you’ve never tried cauliflower bread before, than this easy-to-prepare sandwich will be your favorite from now on. When the cauliflower rice gets combined with a little bit of egg and almond flour, it provides a delicious Paleo bread, which can hold up to piles of savory fixings.
First in a larger bowl start mixing sea salt with riced cauliflower. Stir well, and then leave the mixture for about 20 minutes to get the moisture out. Then make sure to use a clean towel from the kitchen in order to firmly wring out the cauliflower, in order to dry it out as much as possible, otherwise, you will get a soggy bread in the end.
Note: If you ever purchased fresh bagged riced cauliflower from the market, you have surely noticed it is already dry enough to skip this step.
Put the cauliflower back in the bowl and add the egg, black pepper and the almond flour. Stir well. The mixture should not become runny, but slightly moist. Then use a cup to scoop the mixture out, one at a time, and put it on a baking sheet. It is best to use your hands to make the mixture in four squares, then press the sides and tops with your fingertips, so that the mixture can hold together. Bake for about 25 minutes, and then let it cool down for another 5 minutes.
Next you can use ghee to grease a pan or a cast iron skillet over medium heat. While the pan is heating, put a little bit of mashed avocado on the cauliflower bread, and cover it with another cauliflower bread slice. Then grill it on the hot skillet for about 3 minutes, flip it on the other side for another 3 minutes. Do this with all of the remaining bread slices. Serve the sandwiches while they’re warm.
Avocado Grilled Cauliflower Sandwiches
- 41 g of fat
- 13 g of carbohydrates
- 20 g of protein
- Mixing bowl
- Parchment paper
- Baking sheet
- A teaspoon of ghee
- 2 mashed ripe avocados
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/3 cup of almond flour
- 2 pasture-raised eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 4 cups of cauliflower rice
- Previously heat the oven up to 400°F and then line a baking sheet with a parchment paper.
- Combine the sea salt and riced cauliflower in a bowl. Let the mixture sit for about 20 minutes.
- Dry the mixture using a clean kitchen towel.
- Put the cauliflower in the bowl with the black pepper, almond flour and eggs. And stir until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Scoop a cup of the mixture and put it on the baking sheet, form a square with it. Do the the same with the rest of the mixture.
- Then bake that for 25 minutes, and then let it cool down for another 5 minutes.
- Then on the skillet that is previously greased with ghee on medium heat, put a slice of cauliflower bread, add the mashed potato on top, and cover it with another cauliflower bread slice.
- Then cook them on the skillet for 3 minutes on each side. Cook the rest of the bread this way, and serve while it is still hot.