A lot of people enjoy the sound of the rain, a lot of people also find it calming and romantic, while others like its smell that has the ability to calm the nerves. Walking in the pouring rain can be a really helpful and healing experience, since it releases the suppressed emotions and thoughts, and it calms the mind as well.
The smell of the pouring rain has a name for itself, it is Petrichor, and it was named after two Australian scientists in the 1960s.
This smell is a combination of oils released from the plants, ozone created when lightning splits nitrogen and oxygen molecules that turn into nitric oxide, and chemicals released by the soil-dwelling bacteria.
Rainy days are perfect when you’re stressed out, when you feel down, and you just want to relax and enjoy the moment for a while.
But, besides lowering yours tress levels, going for a walk in the rain is offering 7 other benefits for your health too:
- Japanese researchers have found out that physical activities in a rainy and cold weather burn a lot more fats and calories than doing them on a hot day.
- The moisture in the air is keeping your hair and skin moisturized, since it is alkaline in nature, the rain is perfect for the scalp and skin.
- The smell of the rain is refreshing your mind.
- A walk in the rain is helping people to see the problems from a different perspective.
- Going for a walk in the rain makes you feel rebellious, so if you want to break a rule, feel free to do it in the rain.
- Since very fewer people go for a walk in the rain, this gives us a lot more space, so our emotions and thoughts can run free and wild.
- While it’s raining, rain drops absorb microbes and dust, therefore the air is purified, and a lot cleaner.
So, don’t be afraid to go out for a walk while it’s raining, it will only help you and will open you a new lease of life!